Wolf Like Dogs

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf Like Dogs
Wolf Like Dogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolfdog and Wolf Like Dog Showcase

4 posters

Go down

Wolfdog and Wolf Like Dog Showcase Empty Wolfdog and Wolf Like Dog Showcase

Post  Ty-Ohni Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:15 am

I found this site really interesting, thought I would share:

http://www.inetdesign.com/wolfdunn/breeds/

Sorry admin if not in the right place Cool

Ty-Ohni

http://www.ty-ohni.biz

Back to top Go down

Wolfdog and Wolf Like Dog Showcase Empty Re: Wolfdog and Wolf Like Dog Showcase

Post  Lanie Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Very Happy Good site, some lovely pictures of lovely dogs, I never realised the Saarloos was older than the Czech, thanks for sharing
Lanie
Lanie

http://www.britishutonagan.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vantard Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:10 am

Lanie wrote:Very Happy Good site, some lovely pictures of lovely dogs, I never realised the Saarloos was older than the Czech, thanks for sharing
Leendert Saarloos first started breeding his wolfdogs in 1928. His aim was to produce a working dog and he cared nothing about what they looked like. The current breed can trace its roots back to Saarloos' second wolf in 1963. He had two lines a 25% wolf working dog and a 50% dog that he bred to appease his friends who wanted a more consistant wolf looking dog: after his death in 1969 the two lines were mixed together to create the companion dog of today.

Vantard

Back to top Go down

Post  razcox Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:44 am

Vantard wrote:
Lanie wrote:Very Happy Good site, some lovely pictures of lovely dogs, I never realised the Saarloos was older than the Czech, thanks for sharing
Leendert Saarloos first started breeding his wolfdogs in 1928. His aim was to produce a working dog and he cared nothing about what they looked like. The current breed can trace its roots back to Saarloos' second wolf in 1963. He had two lines a 25% wolf working dog and a 50% dog that he bred to appease his friends who wanted a more consistant wolf looking dog: after his death in 1969 the two lines were mixed together to create the companion dog of today.

Looking into the history of this breed though they seem to be very interbred, didnt he bred back to the same sire at the start?

'Leendert began the creation of the European Wolfdog (as it was then known) by crossing a German Shepherd Dog called Gerard with a female wolf called Fleur. That pairing between GSD and Fleur the wolf produced a total of 20 wolf-dog hybrids over time. Leendert Saarloos then crossed those half-wolves back with their father the German Shepherd Dog Gerard producing a new stock of hybrids that were just quarter wolf.'

So it seems the whole breed was based on just 2 dogs. Dont get me wrong i think they are a lovely looking breed but it irkes me that people say the NI is too inbred but seem to have no issue with the Saarloos which is worse.
razcox
razcox

http://www.lukoinortherninuits.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Vantard Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:12 am

razcox wrote:
Vantard wrote:

Looking into the history of this breed though they seem to be very interbred, didnt he bred back to the same sire at the start?

'Leendert began the creation of the European Wolfdog (as it was then known) by crossing a German Shepherd Dog called Gerard with a female wolf called Fleur. That pairing between GSD and Fleur the wolf produced a total of 20 wolf-dog hybrids over time. Leendert Saarloos then crossed those half-wolves back with their father the German Shepherd Dog Gerard producing a new stock of hybrids that were just quarter wolf.'

So it seems the whole breed was based on just 2 dogs. Dont get me wrong i think they are a lovely looking breed but it irkes me that people say the NI is too inbred but seem to have no issue with the Saarloos which is worse.

And then I mentioned his second wolf in 1963. Yes he did cross back to Gerard and yes there was a high degree of inbreeding in the 1930's. Unfortunately all the original records were lost but there are full records from 1956 onwards. Saarloos was an amateur geneticist but realised that he needed help and thus employed the services of a professional geneticist:Dr Haagendoorn, to help with this.

After Saaloos died in 1969 further development of of the breed happened until 1975, when the Dutch Kennel club accepted it as a breed (they were first asked in 1942). They required full breed records to be submitted and were satisfied. The Fédération Cynologique Internationale accepted the breed in 1981 and they were satisfied as well.

There is, of course, genetic limitation in any dog breed and the Saarloos gene pool is quite small; however there seem to be relatively few health issues.

The trouble with the NI is nobody seems to know anything about it and many people have sold their own cross breeds claiming them to be NIs. When I spoke to the Kennel club about the NI I got a short reply.

Vantard

Back to top Go down

Post  razcox Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:49 am

Vantard wrote:The trouble with the NI is nobody seems to know anything about it and many people have sold their own cross breeds claiming them to be NIs. When I spoke to the Kennel club about the NI I got a short reply.

Yes the KC dont seem to like us much but then i have little to no regard for the KC in this country anyway. The KC do not recognise your breed either and i am not sure they ever will TBH unless some drastic changes take place. Its still very much a backwards old boys network.

The NI has got records and have a register of NI's, mine are with the NIS and i have a pedigree for both of them as well as registration number. Unfortunately with any breed of dog there are some breeders who only see £££ and will claim anything is an NI to get extra cash for a cross breed. Nothing can be done about this other then to advise people to make sure the breeder has papers and is registered with the Nothern Inuit Society, just like you can only advise puppy buyers to get any other breed from a KC reg breeder again with papers.
razcox
razcox

Back to top Go down

Post  Vantard Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:25 am

The KC would consider both the Saarloos and the Czech but there has to be a viable population and they have a set application procedure for this. The stumbling block is mainly the breeders. Personally it all bothers me little; all I look for in a breed is that they breed true to type otherwise it makes no sense to have one. Under pressure the KC will move forward.

Vantard

Back to top Go down

Post  razcox Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:34 am

Vantard wrote:The KC would consider both the Saarloos and the Czech but there has to be a viable population and they have a set application procedure for this. The stumbling block is mainly the breeders. Personally it all bothers me little; all I look for in a breed is that they breed true to type otherwise it makes no sense to have one. Under pressure the KC will move forward.

I agree it doesnt matter to me about KC recogniton either. At the moment to register with the NIS dogs have to be health tested and approved. If the KC took over all they would need to reg litters would be £££££.
razcox
razcox

Back to top Go down

Post  Vantard Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:55 am

razcox wrote:
Vantard wrote:The KC would consider both the Saarloos and the Czech but there has to be a viable population and they have a set application procedure for this. The stumbling block is mainly the breeders. Personally it all bothers me little; all I look for in a breed is that they breed true to type otherwise it makes no sense to have one. Under pressure the KC will move forward.

I agree it doesnt matter to me about KC recogniton either. At the moment to register with the NIS dogs have to be health tested and approved. If the KC took over all they would need to reg litters would be £££££.
One of the things I like about France is that to get the desired pedigree certificate (to be able to breed and register a litter as pedigree) the animal its self has to be inspected after it is a year or so old by an approved (for that breed) judge at an approved show. When I got a KC dog in the UK the breeder just pulled out a load of certificates from a draw (he had registerd the whole litter) and said take your pick...

Vantard

Back to top Go down

Post  razcox Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:31 am

Its awful they dont care about the dogs as long as the money keeps rolling in. The reason they wont bring in hasher rules with health testing is they know so breeders just wont do it. They say this will forse the issues further underground but what they really mean is that they will have less litters being reg and therefore less money in the bank. Its all just so wrong and is run like a bussiness not a club or soicety now.
razcox
razcox

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down